Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Melbourne: a city made for girls


















Between terms 2 and 3 there is a 2-week break and my fabulous Australian friend Bree and I devised a trip to a girl's haven: Melbourne. She hadn't been in 2 years, and I, never. We decided 3 full days would be just right, and Bree (brown hair) invited along another girlfriend, Justina (blonde hair), for the perfect girl's getaway.

On the first Tuesday, while most of Sydney was still dreaming, we got to the airport to catch our flight - we were not going to waste any time within our 3-day window. In fact, due to some airport difficulties (why can't you bring coffee on the plane if they serve it on there anyways?!), we didn't even have our first coffee of the day until we had got to Melbourne, caught a tram (love that they still have trams, regardless of how completely dangerous I think it is to hop on and off of them in the middle of traffic) to St. Kilda and our hotel, and were sitting in the cutest little cafe ever.

The first day was all about shopping, and there is no better place in Australia to do so than in Melbourne. Taking the tram (much like a C-Train) out to a fashion district, filled with caffeine and anticipation and hope, we set out a plan of attack, and away we went! We literally shopped for about 8 hours, until, faint with thirst and hunger,  the sun setting in the distance, we reluctantly decided to call it quits. I had a fair number of items, but I truly can not be blamed! Too many fabulous boutiques with unique pieces - and the sales! Oh the sales! I have not shopped since I moved here so I think I was a bit overdue... Though the best purchase of the trip actually came later. For over a year (I have witnesses) I have searched for the Converse hi-tops of my dreams: in neon green. I had looked all over Europe, Calgary and Sydney, but nothing. Oddly enough I had told the girl's of my plight earlier in the day and just as we were wrapping up and heading to the tram, we walked by a small shoe store. There, prominently displayed in the window was MY Converse hi-top. Of course I bought them, and love them to death!

That evening we went to a spectacular well-respected Italian restaurant. Melbourne is well known for it's cafes and restaurants. I think I could have eaten at any number of restaurants we walked by (literally hundreds) and it would have been a great experience. Consistently throughout our whole trip we ate the most beautiful food, and in the coolest places!

The second day we went to see the Broadway musical, "Wicked". It met all of my expectations and is now one of my favourite shows out of all that I have seen. In the foyer they were selling green slushies in green martini glasses, which I thought was a very fun touch. 
We hung out downtown for the rest of the day, darting down all of the little alleyways Melbourne is famous for: poking our noses in little shops and enjoying skinny flat white's and cappuccinos. We finished the day at a pizza restaurant in Melbourne's version of "Little Italy", where our meal ended with a very lively and entertaining magician wowed us with his tricks! He was actually really good and though we caught on to some of his slight-of-hand, there were a few tricks he did that really left us dazzled and wondering how in the world he had done it.

On the third day Justina left in the morning back to Sydney, and Bree and I (true shopaholics) headed to Church street for onnnnne last shop. Lo and behold, as we were strolling, who should we happen upon? Katie Holmes and her and Tom Cruise's sweet little Suri. SHOCKING. Previously I did not think I was the type to become starstruck: I now know I am the type. What was so cool was that nobody else on the street saw her! We walked by her and heard her say to Suri, "I know! Isn't it pretty?" to something in the shop window. Because she had a bodyguard with her, and her little one, I decided not to be intrusive, so I just stopped and starred until she got in her SUV and zipped away. Like I said, the perfect girl's getaway.

I would go back to Melbourne in a heartbeat!!!


2 comments:

  1. Hilarious! I know that magician - he's a regular around Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi ms.hone this is kareshma in ms.craigs class i wish you were our permanent teacher

    ReplyDelete