Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Home Sweet Home

It is our first official day at our new place and here I am sitting in McDonald's of all places for 3 very good reasons: it is air conditioned, it has chairs, it has free internet access... all of which our apartment does not have at the time. Don't get me wrong, I have no complaints - I am looking out at the beach, at a blue, cloudless sky and sunshine for miles, and enjoying being freezing for a few moments (it reminds me of home!), but I do have a bone to pick with the previous apartment owners. I am fairly certain that every tap in the house has a drip. I am also almost positive that at any given time when the former tenants (brothers) were walking around the apartment they were dragging their hands against the wall regardless of what might have been on their fingers - yuck. On close inspection I am not even certain I know the true paint colour. Whatever is coating my walls, I have a giant bottle of germ killing, all-purpose cleaner that will be put to the test in the next couple of days!

There is a website here that is much like our "craigslist" called "gumtree" and I've been making phone calls and sending emails about potential furnishings, appliances, fans, etc. Oddly enough when you rent here the place does not come with a fridge! This is very counterintuitive to me, as I would imagine the average renter would be fairly transient, and would probably not be lugging a refrigerator around. The hunt is on!

As it stands all we have are the clothes on our backs (x 100 outfits for me) and lots of space to fill! The fun things is that I'm in charge of furnishings and decorating. Ikea here I come...

For our first week or so we will be cozy at night on a borrowed air mattress with pillows I managed to find at the grocery store, eating at the cafe or little thai restaurant below our place and entertaining ourselves by doing fashion shows with all of our outfits (kidding!)... Oh right! Or there is always the beach. :)

7 comments:

  1. Yay! You're home! Sounds like you have lots and lots to do - wondering about your wall paint color...ewh. Hopefully it will all come clean without too much effort. :) I'm so very happy for you both. What an adventure!! XOXO Banff Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI MS HONE,

    NICE PICTURES!
    I HOPE YOU ARE HAVE FUN!
    I'M GOING ON A VACATION TOO I'M GOING TO VIETNAM!NICE WRITING TO YOU!
    FROM:SON

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI MS.HONE,

    DO YOU HAVE A PET OVER THERE?
    I AM GOING ON A VACATION TOO BUT I AM GOING TO VIETNAM!
    WELL NICE WRITING TO YOU MS.HONE!
    HAVE A NICE VACATION MS.HONE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Son! i hope that you have a really nice vacation! Thank you for writing to me :)
    You will have to send me some photos of Vietnam!

    Have fun!
    Ms.Hone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pictures! Guess we should be sending you pictures of snowshoe hares running about in my neighborhood trying to keep warm!
    I am definitely jealous about your wardrobe...we can only dream of shorts and t-shirts in this snowy weather.
    Glad to see you are enjoying yourself!!

    Cindy (AISI LL at JSM)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Ms.Hone how hot does it get there? and what does the Buildings look like? Do you do a lot of Scuba diving in the Big ocean? you look like you are having lots of fun. iherd there was a bad forest fire there. by the way i realy miss you as my teacher this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ms.Hone
    please come home i miss you so much that i want to see you again!!!!!!!!!!
    When are you gatta come back to canada?
    Well please come back!
    Me and my sister Tina miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete